Shift: Tuesday through Saturday, 4 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Or Wednesday through Saturday 2 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
$20 to $27/hour
PathologyWatch offers a physician or laboratory the unique opportunity to partner with expert pathologists for the interpretation of specimens. PathologyWatch takes histologic slides from any location and digitally distributes the work across a network of highly skilled dermatopathologists. This results in a high-quality specialist interpretation with a faster turnaround time. We are a dynamic, cutting-edge company expanding artificial intelligence (AI) use in the medical field. PathologyWatch is a fast-growing company looking for a hard-working, ambitious, team-oriented individual, where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded.
Under the general supervision of the laboratory manager, the grossing technician is responsible for assessing and verifying specimens, grossing tissue for processing, and maintaining all quality-control records.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive and accession anatomic pathology specimens as well as perform other routine technical procedures
- Describe gross anatomic features, i.e., the overall specimen dimensions, structures, size, and appearance
- Prepare tissues for processing according to established procedures
- Assure proper maintenance of equipment and provision of adequate supplies
- Receive specimens and carefully check paperwork for accuracy and completeness
- Observe health and safety protocols during all cleanup procedures to minimize risks to self and coworkers
- Perform preventive maintenance and quality-control procedure on laboratory equipment according to SOP and manufacturer recommendations
- Maintain direct communication and follow-up to all necessary patient care/laboratory tasks
- Perform other duties as assigned by the histology manager
Skills and Abilities
- Spatial ability to perceive three-dimensional and geometric relationships when cutting paraffin blocks and making embedding molds
- Finger dexterity to manipulate the micro-thin tissue sections and mount them onto microscope slides
- Color discrimination to verify the diagnostic quality of staining processes in order that essential features of tissue sections can be properly defined
Education and Experience
- Associate’s degree in biology or other related science field
- At least one year of experience in the grossing field (preferred)
- At least one year of laboratory experience (preferred)