PathologyWatch is seeking a mid-level or senior cloud infrastructure engineer to join the team and help us with web application development. We are building a system that makes Pathology (cancer diagnostics) faster, cheaper, and more accurate. This role includes integrating our application into laboratories and medical clinics, as well as the AI diagnostic tools that we are currently building. This role will specifically be helping to manage the infrastructure that uploads, processes, and then displays multiple gigabyte sized images to the physicians who then make critical medical diagnosis for patients. The architecture has to remain HIPAA compliant while being cost-effective on image rendering and file mobility.
A successful candidate will be able to work well with others and also be very thoughtful about their work. This is software that handles sensitive medical information and the level of quality control needs to be high.
Work in a startup or experience leading a team is a plus. This position requires a high degree of personal responsibility for application integrity but allows for a significant amount of freedom and individual thinking. The team is currently three front end/back end engineers and two AI engineers and is highly collaborative.
$120k-$140k + Equity, Depending on Experience
Business Unit/Department Overview
PathologyWatch is a company that specializes in detecting skin cancer through artificial intelligence / deep learning. The company is led by Dan Lambert, a successful serial entrepreneur and graduate of Harvard Business School, and Greg Osmond, a Dermatopathologist trained at Harvard Medical School. The Salt Lake-based company sells to Dermatologists who are looking to digitize their workflows, and leverage our AI tools to improve skin cancer diagnostics. The company is venture-backed by leading firms and has raised ~$12M. The team is dedicated to fighting skin cancer globally and bringing skin cancer diagnostics to underserved areas in the US and abroad. PathologyWatch is currently a team of ~20 people and growing quickly.
The PathologyWatch team is looking to add an experienced infrastructure engineer to round out the current team and help solve problems related to infrastructure and system scalability. The current stack is service-based, utilizing a Kubernetes cluster hosted on AWS built from Terraform, Python, PostgreSQL, and React. A list of potential projects are:
- Improve stability and turn around time for biopsy slide import infrastructure and ensure large file uploads are quick and reliable. Independent pathology laboratories upload digitally scanned specimens (glass slides) through an in-house uploader client to S3, where application code processes and imports them to be viewed by internal and external Dermatopathologists. Each specimen is roughly 500 MB – 1 GB in size. Steps in this process could be improved with infrastructure changes and utilization of additional AWS services.
- Assist with improved infrastructure for rendering hosted specimen files to users. We currently have software in place that renders larger files down to small tiles for quick response times while zooming in at a tradeoff of high request rates. This operates similarly to online map viewers.
- Improve and further integrate existing telemetry and monitoring tools, including Datadog, Sentry, Cloudwatch, etc.
- Improve tooling that provides anonymized medical data to research teams.
- Help design a GPU inference pipeline for ML classification and support the AI team’s needs.
- Participate in daily standups and weekly planning meetings.
- Implement and maintain cloud infrastructure to help the medical doctor workflow.
- Make high-level AWS or other hosting provider decisions that provide a scalable architecture.
- Help reduce AWS spend on a per-unit basis.
- Help to implement efficient tile serving infrastructure for the viewer application. Tile storage on S3 & image content delivery.
- Lead the team on all infrastructure related architecture decisions.
- Take over ownership of the current operating cloud infrastructure.
- Utilize test-driven development and implement a QA process around infrastructure deployment.
- Maintain backups and appropriate policies.
- Maintain strong security practices and help enforce security policies.
- Deploy and maintain services for internal teams, e.g., BI tooling.
- Implement auditing tools and ways to adhere to and ensure high HIPAA standards.
- Basic programming ability to support infrastructure automation.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, information systems, or related STEM field or equivalent experience.
- Four years+ of progressive experience related to cloud infrastructure deployment and maintenance (preferably focused on architecture decision making).
- Some exposure to product management or project leadership.
- General understanding or expertise of AWS services, Computer networking, IPSEC VPN Configuration, VPC peering, S3, Lambda, Docker, Kubernetes.
Other Requirements (Travel, Shifts, Physical Demands, etc.)
- Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours for emergencies.
- Occasional travel is required (once a year at most).
Ready to apply?
Click on the button below and send us a copy of your resume and cover letter highlighting relevant experience. Please include the job title in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you!